Vegan Chops with Red Bell Peppers
Vegan 'Chops' with Red Bell Peppers based on the recipe featured in Gordon Ramsay's Home Cooking book. The sweet and sour peppers have never tasted so delicious.
This recipe is meant for a dinner of two people.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion
- 2 or more red peppers
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon vinegar
- vegan red wine
- 1 small bunch of thyme
- pepper, freshly ground
- olive oil
- spring onion, only green part
- small bunch of basil
- 2 soy-based patties*
*We used the vegan "Le Filet" from the vegetarian butcher for this recipe, you can replace this with any other plant based protein source of choice.
optional: you can add some couscous or rice to make the dinner more filling.
(Don't forget to season your couscous or rice.)
- Cut the 2 red peppers and onion in thin strips.
- Peel and crush the 2 cloves of garlic.
- Shred some fresh basil and cut up the bundle of thyme and the green part of a spring onion.
Start with the Vegetables
- Heat up a large frying pan.
- Add a bit of oil, and when hot add the onion and the peppers.
- Season with pepper, add 1 tablespoon of sugar, add the garlic.
- Sauté over high heat for 4-5 minutes until soft and colored.
- Now add a bit of red wine, 3 tablespoons of vinegar and let it bubble for a minute or two until it has reduced.
- Turn down the heat and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded basil and thyme and let cook for another minute.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside to infuse.
Now the Patties
- Wipe the pan clean and season the 2 soy based patties with pepper.
- Add a dash of oil to the frying pan over high heat until hot. Add the patties and cook for 2 minutes until colored. Turn and cook for another 2 minutes on the other side.
- Toward the end of cooking time, add the bowl with peppers and seasoning to the pan and base the patties in the vegetables for another minute.
Serve with Love
- Serve the patties on top of the peppers and onions with the cooking juices. Decorate with fine pieces of the spring onion.
- Enjoy! 💚