The fishing industry is by far the most destructive industry in our oceans. Here are just a few facts that we discovered while making Seaspiracy:
- Fishing has wiped out 90% of the world's large fish
- $35 Billion in subsidies goes to the fishing industry worldwide - paying for bigger ships, more fuel, fishing licences, and the capture of even more marine life.
- Approx. 300,000 dolphins, whales, and porpoises are killed by fishing operations every year
- Fishing kills up to 30,000 sharks EVERY HOUR
- Lost fishing gear is by far the deadliest form of marine plastic